While you’re away, do you sometimes suffer the nagging feeling that something isn’t quite right back home? New “smart” home devices can help you stay current on everything from household temperatures, sump pump activity, air quality or home deliveries. Here’s a few ideas.
- SMART thermostat: You can save energy money by monitoring your home temperature and also enjoy peace of mind with a smart thermostat. Temperatures can be monitored in real time and adjusted on your smart phone. Add a temperature alarm for extra protection. The Nest Learning Thermostat is a popular choice.
- Indoor Cameras: These devices can automatically track any indoor motion and send motion sensor alerts to your smart phone or tablet. Amazon Blink Mini Compact Camera is a good choice.
- Water Monitors: A water monitor can track water usage and humidity levels and even identify leaks and turn off the water at the source. You can purchase stand alone sensors and place them in high risk areas like under the sink, basement, sump pump or near the dishwasher. An interesting choice is the Moen Flo Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff System
- SMART Locks: Most smartlocks can be set up for keyless or virtual entry so anyone can enter, with your permission, while you’re away. Try Google Nest x Yale Lock
- Outdoor Security Systems: These security systems cover a variety of price ranges and many are activated by voice smart assistant such as Siri or Alexa. Some are also motion activated sending a notification to the homeowner when triggered. The most popular selection here is the Ring Alarm
- While these new devices are helpful, the smartest gadgets will neve replace the keen and watchful eye of a trusted individual. A combination of Smart security and a trusted person is your best overall protection.